Over the years, many of the city's visitors have arrived by ferry from Harwich, Essex, England, but this service closed in September 2014 having run since 1875.The harbour facilities are being expanded to answer the needs of the wind-turbine industry and container shipping traffic.Once Denmark's principal fishing port, the Port of Esbjerg is still a driving force for the town's economy.
When approached by sea, the Man Meets the Sea is one of the prominent monuments, consisting of four 9-metre-tall (27 feet) white-coloured men, overlooking Sædding Beach.Before World War II, there was a large butter factory, Dansk Andels Smørpakkeri, employing some 150 workers while after the war the town developed agricultural industries, especially for meat processing and packaging with a plant employing over 300.The town holds an annual music festival spanning two weekends (nine days) in mid-August.Esbjerg is served by Esbjerg Airport with flights to Aberdeen, Scotland and Stavanger, Norway.The town has several notable museums and entertainment venues, including Esbjerg Art Museum, Esbjerg Museum and the privately owned Fisheries and Maritime Museum.
50 dating Esbjerg
At the time, Esbjerg consisted of only a few farms.Developed under royal decree from 1868 until 1874, the harbour was officially opened in 1874, with rail connections to Varde and to Fredericia, an important hub on the east coast of Jutland.Established in 1895 by nine local dairies, the butter-packaging factory, Dansk Andels Smørpakkeri, employed some 150 workers until 1920, packing and dispatching butter for the London market. Türkische männer flirten It was later extended to include egg marketing under the name Dansk Andels Ægeksport.) is a seaport town and seat of Esbjerg Municipality on the west coast of the Jutland peninsula in southwest Denmark.
By road, it is 71 kilometres (44 mi) west of Kolding and 164 kilometres (102 mi) southwest of Aarhus.
Ultimately, it handled produce from 140 dairies spread across the whole of Jutland.
After the Second World War, the town developed several agricultural industries, especially meat processing and packaging with a plant employing over 300.
The market square (Torvet) was positioned at the centre, midway between the harbour and the railway station.
In 1893, Esbjerg became a municipality in its own right (initially known as Esbjerg Ladeplads), receiving the status and privileges of a market town in 1899 and incorporating the parish of Jerne (east of the centre) in 1945.