Today Germany's largest solar power plant is located in the city.
A few other parts of town which today lie in Gelsenkirchen's north end were mentioned in documents from the early Middle Ages, some examples being: Raedese (nowadays Resse), Middelvic (Middelich, today part of Resse), Sutheim (Sutum; today part of Beckhausen) and Sculven (nowadays Scholven).In 1935, the Hibernia Mining Company founded the Hydrierwerk Scholven AG GE-Buer Coal liquefaction plant.Scholven/Buer began operation in 1936 and achieved a capacity of "200,000 tons/year of finished product, mainly aviation base gasoline." After 1937, Gelsenberg-Benzin-AG opened the Nordstern plant for converting bituminous coal to synthetic oil.Gelsenkirchen was a target of strategic bombing during World War II, particularly during the 1943 Battle of the Ruhr and the Oil Campaign.Three quarters of Gelsenkirchen was destroyed and many above-ground air-raid shelters such as near the town hall in Buer are in nearly original form.
By this time, the city was home to about 340,000 people.In 1931, the Gelsenkirchen Mining Corporation (German: ).In the early 20th century, Gelsenkirchen was the most important coal mining town in Europe. kostenlos dating ohne anmeldung Jena It was called the "city of a thousand fires" for the flames of mine gasses flaring at night.From that time, the whole city area belonged to the governmental district of Münster.